The Hostellers Sailing Club offers day sailing and dinghy cruising during the summer and country walking during the winter. The HSC suits all levels of sailing experience including complete beginners. Most members live in London/ Essex/ Southeast England, we also now have a few in Devon. We keep a club owned Wayfarer dinghy on a mooring at Paglesham on the River Roach in Essex.


Built in 1920 in the workshops of 'Ponts et Chaussees’ by Ismael Poitou - marine carpenter employed by the port of Boyardville, 'Clapotis' was built for and used by the 'Service of Lighthouses and Buoyage in the Coureau d'Oleron (between the islandand the mainland) from 1929 to 1971. Requisitioned during the war by the Kriegsmarine it was inexpertly restored in 1958.

It retired from service in 1977 and was abandoned. Afterseveral fruitless attempts at restauration, in 1988 'Clapotis' was given to the Association de Flotille en Pertuis and then to Michel Villeneau.

From 1988 to 1991 a complete restauration was carried out at the boatyard of Paraveau de Marennes.

She participates every year in The Two Lighthouses Cup organised by the Maritime Museum at La Rochelle between the lighthouses of Douarnenez and La Rochelle.

In 2001, with the help of the Charente-Maritime Council, it was bought back by the communes of St. Pierre and St. Georges d'Oleron and the management and upkeep entrusted to the Association Sloop Baliseur Clapotis to be an ambassador for the lle d'Oleron. 'Clapotis' takes part throughout the summer season in many cruises and exhibitions organised around the marine heritage of the region.

Length 13.65m. Beam 2.82m. Draught 1.65m.  7 tonnes.


Clapotis at Boyardville, 2016






Pere Gabriel was built between 1942 and 1949 by the Paraveau boatyard at Marennes for Martial Due, an oyster farmer at Brouage. In 1956 it was handed down to his son Henri Joneau who used it for oyster farming and later for mussel farming out of Brouage until he retired in 1991. It then became a pleasure craft bought by Jean-Claude Chotard and restored by Paraveau.

Originally known as 'Mirage1 it was renamed Pere Gabriel by it's new owner as a tribute to his father - a sailor and fisherman. It was based at Mornac-sur-Seudre until 2001.

In September 2001 Jean-Yves Salaun became the new owner and took the boat to it's new home port of La Flotte-en-Re. Listed as a 'Historic Monument' in November 2009 and brought into sailing condition, Pere Gabriel now takes part in cruises and exhibitions of traditional boats throughout the Summer season. It has several times attended the 'Fetes Nautiques' at Brest in Brittany.

Length 12.5m. Beam 3.14m. Draught 1.2m. 5.4 tonnes.



Pere Gabriel in 2016 (right)